Nothing hits the spot like a warm hearty soup this time of year. This simple and fantastic recipe for a Hearty Tuscan Soup from the Heart and Stroke Foundation is packed with protein and fibre, and low in sugar and bad fats. Enjoy!
Prep time: 25 min | Cook time: 50 min | Servings: 10
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 mL (2 tsp) dried oregano leaves
- 5 mL (1 tsp) dried basil leaves
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) hot pepper flakes
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) brown rice
- 1 can (796 mL/28 oz) no salt added stewed tomatoes
- 750 mL (3 cups) sodium reduced chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pkg (300 g/10 oz) frozen chopped spinach
- In soup pot, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion, carrots, celery, garlic, oregano, basil and hot pepper flakes for about 10 minutes or until softened. Stir in rice to coat.
- Add tomatoes, broth, beans and spinach; bring to boil. Cover and simmer for about 40 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Slow cooker variation: Combine all the ingredients in slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Frozen vegetable option: Omit spinach and add 500 mL (2 cups) frozen mixed vegetables.
- Calories: 138
- Protein: 7 g
- Total Fat: 2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 g
- Carbohydrate: 25 g
- Fibre: 5 g
- Sugars: 6 g
- Sodium: 351 mg
- Potassium: 531 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2011.